Page 106 - Volume 1
P. 106
Jimmy Clark (driving) giving neighbours Christine and Sandy MacDonald a ride in his motorised car,
built by his father. Jimmy’s dad worked as an engineer at the mine. The No.1 on the front of the car was
placed on backwards. At the back on the rise is the water tank that supplied the seven houses in the village.
The sections for each house was quite large, allowing a very large garden area and a spacious lawn.
All of the houses (built in 1947) were on nightsoil systems and required the contents of the toilet to be
emptied at regular intervals into holes dug in the gardens. Needless to say the produce of these gardens was
quite prolific! In the mid-50s flush toilets and septic tanks were installed.
An annual allowance of coal was deposited by the mine authorities at the front gate of each dwelling for
firing up the cooking stoves, lounge fires and for heating the water cylinders.
A view of Russell Road looking south. Just behind the trees in the centre is what was to become the
junction of McVie Road. Kimihia Lake is far off to the left and was easily viewed from the front doors of
these homes along Russell Road.

