Page 59 - Volume 1
P. 59

Kimihia area photo (1941)
             Access  to  the  school  was  achieved  via  farm  tracks  and
        “over the fields” travel until 1946 when the underground coal
        mine became an open cast venture and the mine was connected
        to Kimihia Road.
             The new access was named Tawa Road, and was primarily
        used by coal-delivery trucks, mine service vehicles, rural mail
        delivery  and  milk  delivery  vans  to  the  newly  constructed
        mining  village.  The  few  village  families  who  had  cars  were
        able  to  take trips  to  Huntly  for supplies.
             Note the lack of easy access to the school. The road past the
        school was constructed in 1946 when opencast work began on
        the mine and vehicle access was essential.
             (See pages 60 & 61 for a slightly wider-ranged photo)





                  Mine access railway line.        Kimihia School.
                                                  (No road access)



                                                                                          Underground
                                                                                          mine access.
   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64